Sunday, June 16, 2024

Alaska

 


                 National Geographic magazine opened a world to me when I was a child. I didn't read the articles in print, yet the photographs were articles enough .  The photographs taught me about cultures and people and different places.  Two places especially captivated me---Alaska and Africa.  I wanted to visit these places.  The animals of Africa fascinated me in their different habitats.  The scenery of Alaska drew me to it in a way I didn't understand.  
               Although I wanted to go on Safari in Africa, I realized this was less likely than going to Alaska which, after all, was at least on the same continent where I lived.  When I learned a transAlaskan highway existed, I dreamed of driving it from my home in California. As life took me on this path and that, the dream of going to Alaska changed from driving the highway to "someday going to Alaska" in an unspecified way.  Time passed and passed and still, no specific plan to go to Alaska.  
          My son encouraged me to map my way on the Alaska Ferry system from Seattle.  While this seemed feasible, I was by then at an age where I was not excited about sleeping on deck nor sharing a room with someone I didn't know for the adventure.  Time passed and passed.  My 75th birthday was approaching. And still, no specific plan.
         My birthday card from my daughter was a 5 page print out of clues in clip art pictures.  As I went through them it became more and more apparent what she was saying.  She and my granddaughter and I were going to Alaska for my 75th birthday.  A specific plan. Even though she'd made reservations on a certain date with a specific ship, fate had other plans.  Original plans were cancelled, but rescheduled for the next year.
        And this year, the three of us flew to Seattle and cruised to Alaska. What a remarkable adventure.  A dream came true because my daughter remembered what was important to me since I was a child.  The memories of that trip are still settling in.  I remember the Naturalist on our ship in a presentation he was giving said, it may take you some time to process what Alaska has given to you.  I discover bits of it each day.  The solitude amongst thousands of people as we floated into Glacier Bay.  The mountains that each wore different personalities, each wove different stories. The air so pure I wanted to bottle it and bring it home.  The water calm and deep. The bluest of blue skies in the morning giving way to the clouds and rain of the afternoon.  The colors of the sunset.  The whales, the seals, the sea otters. Bits of glaciers floating by.  Collectively they speak to my soul in language I have not yet transcribed.  Thank you, Alaska, I knew I needed you.  I plan to return. I have a new specific plan.  Next year. We're already booked.  Perhaps by then I'll understand Alaska more.

No comments:

Post a Comment